Friday, January 7, 2011

The Great Gatsby




While I was out to lunch today, my parents and I decided that we were going to watch The Great Gatsby this evening. My mom and I were on our way to pick up some books for school and on my reading list was F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. I had read the story in high school (the only book on my entire book list for this semester that I owned) and so we chatted about the book and film for awhile. My dad had neither read the book nor seen the movie, so we decided it would be the perfect Friday night viewing!

The Great Gatsby was not given huge amounts of praise when it was released in 1974, although it made a large amount of money...it depends of your definition of 'success' in the movie industry I guess. One of my favorite parts of watching the film was the exquisite style. Ralph Lauren, before he was famous, worked on the costume design for the film. He gained much recognition for his design work in this production as well as in Annie Hall, which he did a few years later. Looking at the movie pictures, Ralph Lauren hasn't veered too much away from his styles and designs in his early days! The cast in the 1974 film included Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, and Sam Waterston.




    







To all of the men who can pull off a pink suit...



Currently, progress is being made to film a new Great Gatsby Movie. The movie will star Carey Mulligan (an up-and-coming Hollywood "it" girl) as Daisy. Leonardo DiCaprio is a hopeful Jay Gatsby and Tobey MacGuire is also under strong consideration for Nick Carraway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...