Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Support Maddie's Maukingbirds!

Hi everyone! Every spring I devote a post to the Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Walk. If you are new to the blog or even a returning fan, I'd really appreciate if you'd take the time to learn about CF and why I walk each year! 

One of my closest friends has Cystic Fibrosis. Maddie and I met in college at Ohio Wesleyan. She is an amazing person and a special friend of mine. Maddie is from Connecticut and I met her when I was a sophomore, and she was a junior, at Ohio Wesleyan. We quickly became fast friends and I have some of my best college memories with her! After college, Maddie moved to San Francisco for a few months to explore the city and spend time with her art (she is an amazing artist!) Unfortunately, she had to move back home around Christmas time to focus on getting healthier due to a lot of challenges in San Francisco with treating CF. 


Cystic Fibrosis is a life-threatening genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and the digestive system. An estimate 30,000 children and adults in the United States have CF; 70,000 worldwide. Over 45% of people with CF are adults, which shows the amazing progress over the past decades!! The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is the world's leader in the search for a cure for CF. The non-profit and donor based Foundation funds life-saving research and works to provide access to quality, specialized care, and effective treatments for people with CF. Nearly EVERY drug available today was made possible because of the Foundation's support. And, the life expectancy of a child with CF has doubled! 

While I was at school, my friends and I participated in the annual Great Strides walk each May. This year I am participating and volunteering for the walk in Cincinnati. I would truly appreciate to have your support this year as I help raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis and collect donations to find a cure.

The Cincinnati Great Strides walk is on Saturday, May 17th at 10:00 in Sawyer Point. If you are interested in also participating or volunteering, we'd LOVE to have you! In fact, we are specifically looking for the following volunteers: photographer, security, and medic. If you have any suggestions of who could help, please let me know! You can either comment below or email twirlingclare@gmail.com. If you are just interested in learning more about the walk or attending, I'd be happy to give you information as well! The walk is free to participate, but we are actively trying to campaign and raise funds, so your financial contribution would be greatly appreciated as well. No amount is too small!!


Thank you in advance for your support!!

Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...