Monday, July 7, 2014

theskimm

In this world of easy access, news is no longer reserved for the morning paper or evening news. News outlets need to be covering stories and posting content 24/7. 
In principal, it's a good thing...but easier said than done. I try so hard to be up-to-date with the news. I watch the news, follow news publications on Twitter and Facebook, peer through industry newsletters multiple times a day, listen to NPR as I cruise around town, and try to be "in-the-know" of culture hot topics - entertainment, sports, fashion, etc. It's an uphill battle and, more often than not, I become exasperated in my attempts because I feel like I didn't learn anything at all. Anyone else with me??

The reality of 24/7 'news':
It's content overload.

 There is SO much information out there...articles, opinions, recommendations, contradictions, stories, and strategies. It makes my head spin. Some of it is a lot of the same and other times there are incredibly interesting stories - but they go in one ear and out the other. I feel like my brain is on autopilot and just zooms along picking up on certain buzz words or names, and then fails to process the actual message. 
Despite spending so much time trying to learn about what is happening in Iraq, the World Cup,  programmatic marketing, and the latest musician taking over radio-waves...there was very little I was actually processing. 
AND then, theSkimm came along. 

Early this spring, I heard about theSkimm, a daily newsletter targeting professional women who want to have quick, informative, and easy access to the guts of the news. It's all there, with a splash of charm. 
theSkimm breaks down the most important stories by providing background details, key players, and  why it matters. They read - you skimm. It's the one newsletter I make sure to open every day. 
The target audience is professional women, but it's enjoyed by both men and women. You get the real story, no stings attached, preparing the reader for any conversation. 
I find theSkimm to be the best way for me to stay informed, be topical, and feel professionally confident. It's the Wheaties for modern-day chicks! 
Getting news might not look like these images below - because, let's face it, we're scrolling through our iPhones/iPads before we get out of bed in the morning or on our morning commute. And, I am sure I am not the only one to admit that most of my scrolling is through Instagram...
The method may have changed, but the principal doesn't have to.
And, in case we need a reminder - smart is the new chic. 
Sign up for theSkimm today, I promise you'll love it!





Follow Twirling Clare: Facebook//Instagram//Pinterest//Tumblr//Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...